Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Sydney Brunner's Oral History Project

Interview with My Grandma
by Sydney Brunner
Introduction


My grandma, Mary Brunner, was born in Westport, County Mayo, Ireland. She grew up with five brothers and sisters. She had a very religious upbringing and says that there was very little opportunity in Mayo.  She moved to England at seventeen to pursue nursing. At the time nursing school was free. The school housed the students, fed the students and even gave them a small paycheck at the end of the week. She loved being a nurse and a midwife. My grandma moved to Chicago after visiting her brother Frank there. Eventually she moved to San Francisco as did three of her other siblings. Once in San Francisco she met my grandfather, Angus Brunner. My grandpa was also from County Mayo, Ireland. They met in Golden Gate Park at the bandstand and he asked her if she wanted some ice cream. They got married and had Kevin (my dad), Tom, and Brigitte. My grandparent worked very hard to give their children as well as their grandchildren as many opportunities as they could. I am thankful for them every single day. They inspire me to not only work hard but to be a better person. 

My grandma and grandpa played a huge role in raising my brother, sister and I. The three of us would often spend days at their house in the Sunset district of San Francisco while my parents worked. We would bake apple pies and Irish soda bread, go on long walks and play cards. My grandpa would recite poetry he had memorized, play opera and read us stories. My grandma would always hide a small tin full of candies for us somewhere in the house. They are the most moral and well mannered people. My grandma is 86 years old. She is a thin woman with short gray hair and blue eyes. She is very minimalist and frugal. I have never seen her wear makeup, perfume or nail polish. She often wears floral blouses with light pinks, lavenders and blues. She loves sweets and drinks only tea, rarely water.  Although she has been hear for over six decades you can still hear a bit of Irish in the way she speaks. She is charitable, trustworthy as well as trusting and sees the good in almost everybody. She is very open minded and liberal despite her extreme religious upbringing and often says, "God gave you a brain because he wants you to use it." 

Once assigned this project I immediately thought of my Grandma Mary. She is perfect for this project and this particular class because she exemplifies what it means to be an independent and self-aware woman. I wanted to know more about her life before I was in it. My grandma has been a role model of mine for as long as I can remember. She is strong, wise and loving. She has taught me that common sense and a sense of humor can get you through anything and she has also taught me how to make a proper cup of Irish tea. She has inspired me be independent and a diligent worker and always persevere. 

Segment 1-What is your name and where were you born?




Segment 2- What was your life like growing up in Ireland? 



Segment 3- What was school like?

Segment 4- What was it like to be a woman in Ireland? What was expected of you?


 Segment 5- Why did you come to America?


Segment 6- How did you find San Francisco?


Final Segment




Conclusion:

Interviewing my grandma was a wonderful experience. Many stories I had heard before but I also learned a few new things about her. I had about 36 minutes of footage by the end of our conversation. I was challenging to find the segments that best encapsulate because everything she told me sounded important. All and all, this project reinforced my ideas and feelings of respect and admiration for my grandmother. She has had an amazing life vastly different from my own. It is because she immigrated that I have the opportunities and education that I do and for that I can never repay her. She has given me so much to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment