Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Hye Ok's Journey to America

Hye Ok's  Journey to America
By: Linda Kim


My mom, Hye Ok, was born in South Korea, Chuncheon on the year of 1962. She spent most of her life in Korea till she met my dad. She got married at the age of 34 years old and that is when she decided to move to the United States in 1994. From being a piano teacher in Korea, she became a small business owner in San Francisco. She had no idea on how to run a business, but in order for her and my dad to get by to live in a foreign country like America, they tried their best to make ends meet. In a country, where she didn't speak the native language nor have any family or friends, she found to make it her home now. Although it was a big transition in her life, she somehow found a way to adjust to everything despite all the hardships she had to go through. Ever since I was little, I've seen her struggle, but she always managed to still put a smile on her face no matter what. So I've always been curious on why she decided to move to America and wondered what kind of environment she was brought up in.

Introduction:



1. How was life in Korea?


2. When you were a kid, who did you rely on the most?

3. What do you find the most difference between San Francisco and Korea?

4. Do you regret living in America?


5. If you never moved here, how do you think your life would have been different?


6.Was there anything you wanted to do besides playing the piano back then?


7. What's a special memory that you reminisce from Korea?


8. Was it a really difficult decision for you to make to come to America?


9. If you had a chance, would you want to move back to Korea and live there now?


10. In your opinion, do you like living here as a woman?


11. If you go to Korea now, what do you want to do the most?



12. What is your future plans that you look on forward on doing?


Conclusion:
Interviewing my mom was such a fun and an interesting experience. My mom is usually very camera shy and wouldn't ever let me take a picture of her, but in the video you can't even tell! I thought it would turn out to be a very short video since my mom's not the type to elaborate on things, but it turned out longer than I expected. I honestly wanted to just keep on going because we were both having so much fun. Overall, through this interview I got to see where my mom was coming from and find out how her life was before she even became my mom. I'm also pleased that I got to hear about what she wanted to do in the future so I could make it happen for her soon. My mom has always been my motivation to work hard and to become someone people can look up to. She sacrificed so much for me and I plan on doing the same as long as I can make her happy.







No comments:

Post a Comment