Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Mercedes Coming To America

Mercedes Coming To America

By Mina Yazdani


Introduction:

As soon as we were assigned this Oral History Project I instantly thought of my mom, Mercedes Yazdani. She grew up in Caloocan, Philippines where the American dream was highly advertised which had struck her interest when she was very young. Not only did she want to move to America to chase that dream, but to also help provide for her family. She finished up college there and worked at an airline which allowed her the free trip to America, and she began the exploration of her independence as a Filipina immigrant. This quirky and strong minded woman has taught me everything I know today about being a woman and taking care of myself. I have heard her story numerous times, but what better way to celebrate her hardships and achievements by having it on record of her journey coming to America.


1. What was your thought process on why you moved to America?



2. Was America everything you imagined it to be?


3. Have you ever thought about moving back to the Philippines?


4. What kept you motivated to stay in America?


5. What was your life like before you moved?



6. Would you consider yourself an independent woman?


7. What have you instilled in me about being a woman?



8. What do you think your life would have been like if you never moved?


Conclusion:
It was a fun, yet tough interview to do with my mom. She was definitely camera shy, but it still didn't stop her from telling her story. I have heard some of these stories before, but there were some that she has never told me that I am glad I was able to learn from this interview. Watching back on these videos really shows how much I see myself in her from being quirky, serious, and sometimes shy. I am so thankful for my mom who not only guides me through life, but is also my best friend. Her coming to America has molded me into the woman I am today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment